Do any of these situations describe you?
- Your children have all gone off to college or they have all started their careers and you now have to deal with their empty rooms.
- You would rather spend your spare time enjoying your hobbies instead of cleaning and yard maintenance.
- Your parents are approaching the age where they are unable to maintain their large homes and would prefer to live in a maintenance-free home or retirement home.
Is it time?
If your family, or someone you know, is facing a similar situation, it may be time to considering downsizing. It can be a difficult decision to make but, as with anything, it helps to think of the glass as half-full and not half-empty. If your children have all gone off to college or moved out, try not to dwell on the fact that their rooms are empty. Instead, consider that room as your new home office, or library, or hobby room. If you downsize, remember that all the time you used to spend cleaning and maintaining your home can now be spent visiting your children in their new homes.
If you are deciding to downsize because you just don’t have the energy or ability for all of that heavy, time-consuming work, don’t think of it as aging....simply realize that you have probably taken care of people all of your lives and now YOU deserve to be taken care of!
Allow yourselves the luxury of having time to do whatever you want. Do you enjoy travelling? Maybe now is the time to take that trip of a lifetime. Maybe you should finally start that scrapbooking project, or take a photography course, or make the most out of your golf membership. Anything is possible!
Once you have decided that you need to downsize, you need to de-clutter. It would be difficult to fit the same amount of furniture and belongings in a smaller home, condo, or retirement dwelling. Try these tips:
- Ask you family if they would like any of the furniture items you won’t need once you move.
- Ask your family and friends if they know of anyone in need of some furniture (someone starting university or college, a recently divorced parent, a women’s shelter).
It may be easier to part with your treasured items and heirlooms if you know they will be appreciated and going to a welcoming home.
Enjoy your new life!
Now, find the perfect home for the next phase of your life. It may be a small single family home on a small lot. Maybe it will be a quaint garden home. Perhaps you will enjoy the downtown condo life.
Imagine your perfect life….do your hobbies require you to have a spare room or a basement? Is gardening a must for you? Would you love the convenience of a pool, whirlpool and sauna right in your building? Once your “perfect” list is complete, you will have a checklist to take with you while you are house-hunting. Happy downsizing!
Contact the Renaud Otten Team at (613) 288-0090 for all of your real estate needs, including help finding the perfect home or condo for the next phase of your life.
Posted Monday, August 09, 2010 by Martin Bouma
Tags: ottawa condo sales, ottawa condos for sale